Four years has passes since that chilly November morning in Lower Manhattan when we said I do. We have a house, a two-year old daughter and our marriage is legal in all 50 states. Those three things felt like they were so far away from happening in that moment but here we are.
Our wedding day was as much about food as it was about the whole legally binding contract we were entering. We had lunch at the Cinnamon Snail Food truck, rehearsal dinner at Candle 79, reception at Blossom Cafe in Chelsea, and lunch at Loving Hut NYC to name a few. We hit all of the important NYC vegan food we could possible fit in! As irony would have it, we were married atop the Irish Hunger Memorial. Our amazing friend B.B. made sure we had a delicious vegan cake to celebrate the day from Erin McKenna’s Bakery (formerly Baby Cakes). We chose carrot cake with cinnamon icing.
This year I decided to attempt to recreate our wedding cake. I had never attempted a carrot cake or a cinnamon icing. I think I have always steered away from a carrot cake because of all of the carrot prep work seems like a lot…the peeling, the shredding…heh. Turns out I am ridiculous and can peel and shred a carrot like a boss.
But….WHY ARE ALL OF THE RECIPES GLUTEN FREE? I am not gluten intolerant (real or imagined). Also, I am not a huge fan of apple sauce in baking so I generally try to find a recipe that doesn’t call for applesauce. But…Minimalist Baker is my go to vegan baking guru so I used their…
1-BOWL VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE CARROT CAKE
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 7 ½ Tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) melted coconut oil* (or sub other neutral oil)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1 scant cup (~235 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (110 g) organic brown sugar* (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) cane sugar* (or sub coconut sugar)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 – 1 cup (180-240 ml) plain unsweetened almond milk* (or other non-dairy unsweetened milk)
- 1 1 /2 cups (~165 g) loosely packed grated carrot
- 3 Cups of All-Purpose Flour (my choice instead of gluten free)
- 3/4 cup (87 g) chopped raw walnuts* (if preferred, omit, or sub 1/2 cup (70 g) raisins)
You can find the directions here.
For the icing I chose to make a plain cream cheese icing because I had one shot to do this before my wife came home from work…
- 1/2 cup (1 stick ) vegan butter, softened to room temperature (such as Earth Balance | butter sticks are best, not the spreadable tub)
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese, slightly softened (such as Tofutti or Trader Joe’s brand // out of the fridge for 1 hour)
- 3 – 5 cups (300-500 g) sifted organic powdered sugar
My icing broke…I think because the vegan cream cheese was too soft and possibly b/c I mixed too long. But a broken icing is still a tasty icing…