“I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity” – Oprah Winfrey
Obviously, Oprah Winfrey is not an idiot but in the matters of fertility so much more than preparation and opportunity are required.
BUT then I think of how well Lisa prepared her body to be the nest. I don’t want to short change her preparation by giving luck all of the credit. Lisa did everything in her power to make her body ready. She began building her nest the day we put our plan into action. Here is a list of just some of the ways Lisa prepared for pregnancy:
- She read books, blogs, and websites about being vegan and fertility. Her favorite and most anticipated book – The Kind Mama by Alicia Silverstone.
- She cut the caffeine by switching to one cup of black tea a day. She had already abandoned coffee for a more well-meaning beverage, Yerba Mate tea. She believes she may have nearly weened herself off caffeine completely (Feel free to secretly hate her for that but you should hate me more because my body doesn’t even care about caffeine.).
- She started taking Folate even before our first appointment at Shady Grove.
- She cut the processed foods out of our diet at home even Wheat Thins (le sigh).
- She removed some of the soy from our diet. Soy can mimic estrogen causing some issues.
- She stopped drinking alcohol. During the past couple of months I think she has had a total of 2 glasses of wine.
- She added more good fats to her diet.
- She incorporated items considered to be Fertility Superfoods into our meals.
- She even took up juicing again to ensure she was getting the vitamins and minerals she needed naturally. Along with that, she started growing her own wheat grass.
She has dedicated her body to create us a little piece of wonder. And she is very serious about it too…which is why I get calls like this….
Lisa: I can’t believe you’d take a pregnant woman’s last vitamin.
Me: *awkward silence* Well I was trying to show my dedication to staying healthy as well.
There is also a small chance that her lady parts are magic. I am very proud of her and her amazing magical lady parts either way.
Still lucky, is the only way I can think to describe how I feel right now because the odds were never in our favor. We removed some mystery with testing, manipulated the timing with chemicals and placed well-groomed sperm on the right path. Even with all of that, the chance that the egg the sperm would meet seemed out of reach but here we are with our BFP!