I feel the need to apologize or at least give an excuse as to why there was no Week 13 post so….
My dog ate my Week 13 post.
I usually spend part of Saturday and Sunday writing but I was out-of-town last weekend. OK…and I had PMS which makes me totally lazy.
I did drive to South Carolina to hang out with my dad to have an early birthday celebration…He’s having a big birthday this month (and my birthday is this month too). The highlight of the trip was singing with my dad. That is a moment that will stick with me. It was special…the kind of moment that does not come that often…so I knew I had to seize it and savor it.
One of my goals is to teach myself to play guitar before the baby is born…so we can have family sing-a-longs. Lisa and I have them now but it is usually just the two of us singing 90s R&B or this…
Exhibit 1 –
We need to expand our repertoire…While there is no doubt that quoting and knowing the soundtrack to such a classic film will make our child the hit of the playground, I do not want to get called down to the preschool because our child is singing Freak Me by Silk…
Exhibit 2 –
What can I say? We are classy ladies…
We had our second mid-wife appointment on Friday. I was able to go which was exciting! These people are so punctual…I have never been to a medical office that is ready for you before you arrive. Our midwife is awesome. I just think she just has such a great vibe about her. No new pictures this time! Everything is progressing nicely. We don’t go back again until mid-October! Lisa is baby growing like a champ. Those first trimester symptoms have faded away and the bump is growing slowly but surely! There was some discrepancy in the size comparison chart on my phone and the ones on the internets…some say Week 13 is peach and some say Week 14 is peach…I say peaches are still in season so I made a peach crisp!
Savvy Vegetarian – Vegan Peach Crisp
- 8 cups of peeled and sliced peaches (10 – 12 peaches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Crumble Topping:
- 1 1/4 cup unbl. wh. flour (use 1/2 wh. wheat or spelt flour if you like)
- 1 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chilled Earth Balance or other veggie spread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Blanche peaches: Boil a large pot of water, turn off the heat and submerge the peaches for 1 minute. Scoop them out with a SLOTTED spoon and plunge into cold water to loosen the skins. Slip off the skins, using a paring knife
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the stones
- Slice peach halves evenly into 1/2 inch wedges
- Mix peaches and sugar together and spread evenly in cake pan
- Add the cold veggie spread to the flour
- Use a pastry blender to cut into small pieces blending with the flour
- Add the oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon
- Using your hands, rub all topping ingredients together until the mixture is crumbly
- Spread the topping evenly over the peaches. Don’t pack it down, just let it be uneven. Gaps are okay
- Bake at 375 DEGREES FOR 30 minutes or until the topping is browned
- Cool on a rack for 1/2 hour before serving
- Serve peach crisp warm with non-dairy ice cream or Coconut Whipped Cream